Saturday, May 17, 2008

Looking for a VW

Even though I don't have the cash for a new project car I am still keeping my eyes peeled on www.thesamba.com Ebay and craigslist for cheap classic VWs. I would pretty much take any pre 1979 VW. The beetle was my original intent just for the fact that there are so many of them and there are so many new parts made for them it would make a good choice. On the downside it sounds like the beetle has some of the worst aerodynamics of any car that size. That is pretty surprising to me. You would think with every thing being round it would do well in that department. I also like the looks of the type III fastback and since my friend had one in high school that makes it kind of nostalgic for me. Then there is the type II bus. My friend Paul in Mexico had one and I totally fell in love with it. They are on the heavy side though so It probably would not be the best choice, though if I found one close for a good price I would jump on it. On the plus side they can hold more batteries than the beetle. I have been doing most of my research on the bug. Rust is going to be a major concern. I think I could handle floor boards, I can weld but not well and its never pretty. All I have is a stick welder. The heater channels are what scare me. They are part of the structural strength and they tend to rust out. I don't know if I would trust myself to do it right. So the thought of finding a rust free car is very appealing. I did get in contact with the guy with the $500 1967 bug. It turns out its almost totally gutted and is pretty rusty. To add to that the 1967 beetle was full of one year only parts so finding those parts may be extremely difficult and expensive. On the plus side he said I could have it for 300 bucks. I will go check it out Sunday probably.

No comments: