Monday, May 12, 2008

My thoughts as of today: EV dreamin'

I have come to the conclusion that confirms my thoughts over the past year. EVs are totally awesome. I would love to have one, I would love to build one. So one thought leads to the next and I am thinking of all the cars that might work well for an EV conversion. I could go the Geo metro/Suzuki Swift / Ford festiva route, it would be cool but but I would still be driving around a geo metro. I would still be proud of it but just because I built it and who has an electric car but I would not totally love it. I wouldn't want to wash and wax it. It would be cheap. I could probably find a great donor with a blown motor for a couple hundred bucks. I could Also go with an older honda civic, that would be better than a metro in my opinion. Then I started thinking of older cars. Most older cars are big but there were some good imports. There would be some advantages to an older car. They will have less wiring than a newer model and it would be easier to pull all the all the old Internal Combustion Engine wiring out. The dash is simple ect. Reliability would almost be a non issue with an EV since I will be replacing most of the stuff that tends to brake any ways. So after all this pondering I have got my mind stuck on an old classic bug. They can be found every where and they are relatively cheap. They are light weight and there is an abundance of used parts out there for them. They also have been modified to go fast so a modern brake upgrade would be an easy add on. Its also a super hippie kind of car and going electric is a pretty green hippie thing to do. It seems like a perfect car for the job. The bad part is I found one in springfield for 500 bucks. that just makes me want to do it even more. To bad the funds are non existent.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

PETER YOU ARE A JUNKIN GENIUS, LETS DO IT.